Laura F. Heller
Writer • Editor • Consultant
Specialties/Areas of Expertise
• Business Writing
• Retail Reporting
• Consumer Electronics
• Women’s Interest
• Home Fashion/Décor
Freelance, December 2006 to present
• Traditional Home • Contributor, Home Tech • Meredith Corporation • Des Moines, IA
• Dwell • Contributor/Blogger, Home Technology • Dwell.com • New York, NY
• HD Living • Contributor • North American Publishing Co. • Philadelphia, PA
• Photo Marketing Association Magazine • Columnist • Jackson, MI
• Consumer Electronics Daily • Contributor • Warren Communications • New York, NY
• Consumer Guides/Howstuffworks.com • Contributor • Publications International • Lincolnwood, IL
• License! Global • Contributor • Advanstar Communications • New York, NY
• Seemoreshopping.com • Contributor, Blogger • Chicago, IL
• Adjunct Professor at Columbia College Chicago, School of Journalism
• Guest speaker and panel moderator at various trade shows and industry events including the International Consumer Electronics Show (CES) 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 and Photo Marketing Association (PMA) 2003, Marketing to Moms 2006 and the Consumer Electronics Association Executive Summit 2003.
• Guest lecturer, Northwestern University School of Journalism, magazine publishing graduate program
• Consultant to eBrain Market Research and spokesperson for the Consumer Electronics Association’s TechGirl program, 2002 and 2003. Judge for the TechGirl product showcase, CES 2004.
• Member of delegation to China representing he Consumer Electronics Association, 2006.
• Executed custom publishing projects for Microsoft, Kodak and Motorola.
Entertainment Living • Hachette Filipacchi Media U.S. • New York, NY
• Principal behind this special section addressing the marriage of home entertainment and interior design; published in the December 2006 issues of Metropolitan Home and Elle Décor magazines.
• Worked with freelance writers and art directors to select photography and approve layout.
• Wrote features and edited contributed content.
• Worked with Web designers to design and launch http://www.entertainmentliving/methome.com
DSN Retailing Today (Discount Store News) • Lebhar-Friedman Publishing Company • Chicago, IL
Senior Editor, April 2000 to December 2006. Associate Editor, July 1997 to April 2000
• Reported on mass retail industry including financial stories, executive profiles, consumer and retail trends for bi-weekly trade magazine with a distribution of 30,000.
• Specialized in the consumer electronics product category and retail channel, in addition to coverage of Midwest-based retailers Target and Sears Holdings.
• Assisted in all aspects of editing, writing and producing special issues. Edited copy from contributors.
• Established relationships with senior-level retail executives, analysts, consultants and trade associations.
• Blue Chip Awards for Distinguished Journalism, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006
Grocery Headquarters • Trend Publishing Company • Chicago, IL
Associate Editor, June 1996 to July 1997. Assistant Editor, January 1996 to June 1996
• Wrote feature stories, industry trends articles and category case studies for monthly magazine.
• Developed and launched new magazine section.
University of Iowa, Bachelor of Arts in Journalism, 1989
Download PDF version